Skip to main content

Life with Jake....Stop Wasting My Water!


For those of you who are keeping up, this is the third installment of my little blog series on Life with Jake.  Jake is my dad.  He will be 77 years old next month.  I would like to say that his actions in the stories I’ve been relating are due to his older age, but sadly, they are not.  He has always been this way.  While growing up, common phrases around our house were, “don’t touch my walls, you’ll leave fingerprints and scuff marks”; “don’t lean back in my chair, you’ll break the legs (not our legs, the chair legs)”; “close the refrigerator door – your cooling the whole house” (you know, the swapping of air syndrome – doesn’t every parent have this?); “no you can’t have new shoes those still have part of a sole, put newspaper in the bottom like we did”; “turn off the lights you are wasting electricity”; and so forth and so on.  My dad was one of those kids who walked to school in the middle of a snowstorm, uphill, coming and going.  Because snowstorms were so frequent in Birmingham, Alabama when he was growing up!

When we were kids we were not allowed to take showers, we had to take tub baths. According to Jake, if you took a shower you were wasting water. The only time I got to take a shower was when I went to camp or slept over at a friend’s house.  So, being the rebellious child that I was, when I moved out of the house, I vowed to never take another bath – and I haven’t.  Showers only for this chick!  And now, when I visit my parents’ house, I take showers.  And what is Jake’s response?  To beat on the door and tell me to hurry up - I’m wasting his water!  Seriously!  If you don’t comply with his request, he will turn off the water to the house to force you out of the shower.

The other night my son decided to get a shower after my dad had gone to bed.  Ahhh, that’s using the old ‘noggin.  If Jake is asleep then he won’t know how long you are in the shower and you don’t have to hurry along.  This would be the logical thought process.  However, with Jake, this would not be the case.  About 3 minutes into Jared’s shower, Jake comes out of his bedroom, groggy from sleep, in his 80 degree sleep attire (see previous blog), to tell me to tell Jared to hurry up, he is taking too long in the shower, thus wasting his water.  My mother looks at me (as we were in the middle of a conversation) and tells me she is going to kill him.  I tell her I will provide the weapon.  I relay the message to Jared who quickly finishes his shower as he doesn’t want to get caught covered in soap and no way to rinse it off.

While my parents do take showers, if you live with Jake, showers should take 2 minutes or less.  We explain that it takes us at least 3 or more minutes to shampoo and rinse our hair.  He says it doesn’t take him that long.  Of course not, he’s practically bald! 

I would love to talk to my grandparents to find out if Jake practiced military maneuvers in the front yard while he was growing up.

I’m just sayin’,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future of Farm Town

If you are an active member of Facebook, you are more than likely familiar with, on an intimate basis, a game called Farm Town. Farm Town is a virtual farm. You plow your land, plant your crops and reap the rewards (coins) of selling those crops at harvest time. You even have the ability to "prostitute" yourself in the village market by offering to harvest other farmers' crops. You can sell your farm for larger farms, purchase silos, waterwells, logs, barrels, pigs, chickens, roosters, goats....you get the picture. You beg your "farming" friends to send you gifts of animals and trees so that you will not have to make these expensive purchases yourself. After all, you are saving your coins so that you can buy that farming mansion and pond you've been lusting after on the neighboring farm. However, the future of Farm Town may be compromised. My son called earlier to let me know Facebook had a new virtual farm game called Farm Ville. He's at level

Revolution!

In 1968, the Beatles wrote a song entitled “Revolution”…which is the theme of my blog today. I believe it’s time for a good, old-fashioned revolution, or at the very least, a mediocre civil war between the conformists and non-conformists! You see, I’m a non-conformist…I refuse to go along with the crowd…a rebel per se! I march to the beat of my own drum. If I were born in a different time period, I would have been riding astride when all the other ladies were riding side-saddle. I would have been on the battlefield reloading muskets, wearing britches, while all the other ladies were taking care of the wounded. We have a president in office who has touted ‘change, change, change’ ever since he became the democratic nominee for president. However, his big plans for change have done nothing but flop like a fish on dry land. Everyone wants change, but we want change for the good of all, not for the good of those who choose to avoid work, moral ethics and abuse my tax dollars. I’m ready for

Monica, the Czar

I hope most of you are keeping up.  The Real Magnolias stories are not going to be consecutive posts as I do have other things going on in my life that I feel the need to write about.  Not alot mind you, but other things nonetheless.  :-) In the previous post, I mentioned Monica, the Czar.  Monica had a nasty habit of being the mom and trying to keep the rest of us from ever having any fun.  Thank goodness she was never successful!  However, one thing she was quite successful at was making new friends.  I use this term loosely as it was usually people she would pass on the street.  Monica felt it was her place to not only be the Czar in our lives, but also in lives of strangers.  For Monica never met a person she didn't take the opportunity to talk to.  When she would see someone that she thought she would be able to strike up a conversation with, she would stop them to talk.  Said conversation went something like this: Monica, the Czar: "Hey, do you have the internet?&quo