We’ve all heard the old saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”…..but here are some additional facts about APPLES:
- During 7th century BC, they were so rare and valuable couples were required to share one on their wedding night.
- They are second only to bananas in popularity.
- They contain 2.8 grams of fiber.
- Apples should be eaten unpeeled as most of the nutrients are in the skin.
- They are easy to digest and help reduce fermentation in the digestive tract.
- Apples are an excellent way to help reduce blood cholesterol.
- New Zealand is a large source of apples for the US during the spring.
- They are a natural breath freshener.
There are over 100 types of apples, although we very rarely eat more than 1 or 2 types. Step out and try a type you’ve never tasted before — they are affordable and will definitely contribute to a healthy living lifestyle!
While apples are great tasting and good for you ( by the way, so is chocolate :-) ), we do use the word apple when referring to something else besides fruit. The next time you decide to look for something on the World Wide Web, you can do a little research on these common phrases...The Big Apple and The Apple of My Eye!
I'm just sayin',