Skip to main content

No Long Farewells or Sad Goodbyes....

Over the past 7 years, my life has twisted and turned, taking many different paths.  In 2001, my oldest son graduated high school.  In 2003, he moved 9 hours away from home.  In 2004, I buried the man I was married to for almost 25 years.  In 2005, my oldest son got married.  In 2006, my youngest son had an aortic root transplant.  In May 2008, my youngest son graduated high school and in July 2008 I remarried.  That was a busy year!  :-)  In July 2009, my sweet little granddaughter was born.  Through all of those major life events, my girlfriends were there.

Many years ago, we formed our little group and called ourselves the Real Magnolias (after a book written by Becky Freemen).  We had monthly events where we would meet in our homes for some outrageous theme party or go out to dinner.  Dressing up, acting silly and calling major attention to ourselves was always the norm for us.  Occasionally, we would take our show on the road and travel on down to the beach (which became an annual event) to entertain those who needed entertaining.  We made new friends and lots of memories on those trips.  We held our own version of the Miss America pageant.  We were all beautiful and all winners.  We were the Real Magnolias and those GRITS had nothing on us!  We have all been through major life changes and have been there for one another.  Not only have we been through personal changes in our own lives, but our Real Magnolias have been through changes as a group.  They were subtle changes at first - one moved here and another there. Ballgames, dance recitals, gymnastics and sometimes husbands kept some of us from attending our monthly events.  We finally decided to just let them go altogether, but we would attempt to keep in touch with one another and every once in a while find a date for dinner.  However, over the past 5 years, we all seem to have drifted our separate ways.  And I think that is how it is supposed to be....for some of us anyway.

You see, God brought us all together at a time in our lives when we all needed each other for support.  Some of us were younger, some of us were older, but we all had something to teach the other girls, something that would be beneficial to someone else in the group.  Alot of times it was nothing more than a gripe session, sometimes we needed to cry on each others' shoulders and sometimes, we just needed to hold hands and sit quietly, knowing that the other one was there for us and no words needed to be spoken. 

As our group drifted apart, we each found other friendships and circles in which to be involved.  I believe by having been a Real Magnolia, we had something that others needed and that God felt it was time for us to move on, to share those experiences with other women.  After all, we had learned so much from each other over the years.

In a few weeks, I will be saying good-bye to the Real Magnolias as I will be moving from Alabama to Texas.  Some of the good-byes will be permanent, with others it will be more like "see ya in a few".  In honor of those wonderful friends - Monica, Amy, Paige, Lauren, Sam, Carly, Nikki, and Emma Kate (not their real names - we never used our real names) and the others whose pseudo names escape me, I will be posting some of their stories over the next few weeks, as well as a few of my own, of our time spent together.  While some of them may vehemently deny their participation in the Real Magnolias, I will kindly remind them I will always carry "the book"!  Proof positive, including photos!  :-)  And as the old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words"! 

I love you all and cherish the memories we made and the time spent as a Real Magnolia!

I'm just sayin',

"When the coffee is hot, and the talk is easy, and the feeling is good, and the laughter is light, and the memories are many, but the time is too short....you know you are with a friend."

Comments

Sam said…
I didn't do it.... (I'm practicing.) I'm glad you explained this, I was wondering why people were always trying to be friends with me... especially ones that I didn't want. Now I know it's because I was a Real Magnolia!
Monica said…
You just made me cry! I love you and every single Real Magnolia - some a little more than others - ha!! I have never had a group of girlfriends I've had more fun with and I cherish every single memory with every single one of them! I can only think of one photograph I will have to think up a good excuse for so I think that's pretty good. I know I am one of those "see you in a few" and I plan on making that happen. I love you and I'm so glad we've been friends and have shared so much together. We will be forever connected as Real Magnolias!!!!

Friends Forever,

Monica
Nikki said…
The Real Magnolias go far and above being extraordinary! If you remember, everyone always clamored for our attention! :-)

Sam and Monica, you are both so very, very special to me and I love you both so much! I wouldn't trade our friendships or memories for anything. I've considered it a privilege to have you both in my life and as dear friends. You both have made me laugh and cry at different times and at the same time! Yes, you are two of my "see ya in a few" friends.

When friends live close to each other, we assume we will see each other often since we live just around the corner from each other. But busy lives keeps us running and there never seems to be enough time. By moving, I think I will be able to see you both more during my frequent visits back home! :-)

Love you and cherish you both so much!

Nikki

Popular posts from this blog

The Future of Farm Town

If you are an active member of Facebook, you are more than likely familiar with, on an intimate basis, a game called Farm Town. Farm Town is a virtual farm. You plow your land, plant your crops and reap the rewards (coins) of selling those crops at harvest time. You even have the ability to "prostitute" yourself in the village market by offering to harvest other farmers' crops. You can sell your farm for larger farms, purchase silos, waterwells, logs, barrels, pigs, chickens, roosters, goats....you get the picture. You beg your "farming" friends to send you gifts of animals and trees so that you will not have to make these expensive purchases yourself. After all, you are saving your coins so that you can buy that farming mansion and pond you've been lusting after on the neighboring farm. However, the future of Farm Town may be compromised. My son called earlier to let me know Facebook had a new virtual farm game called Farm Ville. He's at level

Monica, the Czar

I hope most of you are keeping up.  The Real Magnolias stories are not going to be consecutive posts as I do have other things going on in my life that I feel the need to write about.  Not alot mind you, but other things nonetheless.  :-) In the previous post, I mentioned Monica, the Czar.  Monica had a nasty habit of being the mom and trying to keep the rest of us from ever having any fun.  Thank goodness she was never successful!  However, one thing she was quite successful at was making new friends.  I use this term loosely as it was usually people she would pass on the street.  Monica felt it was her place to not only be the Czar in our lives, but also in lives of strangers.  For Monica never met a person she didn't take the opportunity to talk to.  When she would see someone that she thought she would be able to strike up a conversation with, she would stop them to talk.  Said conversation went something like this: Monica, the Czar: "Hey, do you have the internet?&quo

Revolution!

In 1968, the Beatles wrote a song entitled “Revolution”…which is the theme of my blog today. I believe it’s time for a good, old-fashioned revolution, or at the very least, a mediocre civil war between the conformists and non-conformists! You see, I’m a non-conformist…I refuse to go along with the crowd…a rebel per se! I march to the beat of my own drum. If I were born in a different time period, I would have been riding astride when all the other ladies were riding side-saddle. I would have been on the battlefield reloading muskets, wearing britches, while all the other ladies were taking care of the wounded. We have a president in office who has touted ‘change, change, change’ ever since he became the democratic nominee for president. However, his big plans for change have done nothing but flop like a fish on dry land. Everyone wants change, but we want change for the good of all, not for the good of those who choose to avoid work, moral ethics and abuse my tax dollars. I’m ready for